Saturday, December 22, 2007

Food

I should go to sleep but I'm going to blog a quick list of stuff I ate and did the last week before I forget.

Friday I was down in south bay so I had to have a burrito at my favorite place, Taqueria De Amigos at 2974 S Norfolk St in the Marina Plaza in San Mateo (right off the Hillsdale exit and 101). I just love their burritos - I always get the jumbo pollo burrito - they're one of the few places I've seen with tomato-stewed chicken, which I find the yummiest thing ever. I also love heaping everything into the burrito - the only thing I don't like are the little green spicy peppers they intersperse in there. They steam their burritos at the end so it all melds together in the yummiest melted together coherent way. Though that probably is why you should eat the burritos on the spot instead of taking them home, b/c they get kind of soggy after a while.

Was so full I didn't really have dinner, just made myself some improvised egg-drop soup.

Saturday was a friend's birthday, and she planned the best day ever. Tour at Scharffen Berger factory (chocolate!), dinner at Sushi House in Alameda (sushi!), and karaoke at Music Tunnel in Richmond. Chocolate, sushi, and singing, how could it get any better? I actually discovered that coupling all three activities together may not be the best idea - chocolate has the potential to make you too full for sushi, which doesn't put you in the right state for karaoke. Luckily it all worked out, though. Ate a bit too much chocolate truffle cake at the Cafe Cacao after the tour, but was able to digest enough to enjoy some quite yummy sushi at Sushi House (except their shiro maguro roll has raw garlic in it and boy is it ever potent! Watching people's eyes bug out while trying it was fun, though), and then was able to digest enough to enjoy another 4.5 hours of singing at Music Tunnel. Wheee! I'm not the hugest fan of Scharffen Berger chocolate, but I can't object to walking into a place where the air is scented with chocolate, and I did learn stuff during the tour about chocolate making which was quite interesting.

Sunday was hanging out at a friend's place for a low-key holiday party, which was fun. Playing with other people's babies is fun b/c you can always give them back when they get fussy ;). Ordered pizza for dinner from Nizario's which was quite decent, and apparently also has two locations in SF.

Monday we got Indian from Indian Oven again. I don't care what people on Yelp say, I like that place. Their chicken dishes are always quite yummy (though this time I'm not sure I got what I ordered, or their sauces all taste the same),their mango lassi is expensive but delicious, and their pulau and garlic naan are the perfect accompaniments to our meal. We only ordered one dish this time, plus the pulau, naan, and lassi, and it seemed to be the perfect amount for us.

Tuesday was my sister's birthday so we went to the sushi place of her choice: Kiji (1009 Guerrero at 22nd). This was really quite good. We had a red and white tuna poki which was delicious. They had nigiri of a whole bunch of fish I liked - butterfish (which had mayo on it for some reason but otherwise was yummy), kanpachi (amberjack!), shiro maguro, sake - all good... my bf happily got the hamachi belly and the chu-toro... We also got an Orange Spice Salmon roll which was fine - nothing spectacular but pretty yummy. I also tried my sister's aji tataki which was interesting b/c they deep fry the remaining fish head/backbone/tail after you finish the tataki, and it's pretty yummy. Good stuff all around and quite decent prices.

Wednesday and Thursday we cooked.

Tonight I went to Jersey Boys so grabbed a quick dinner at King of Thai Noodle at 420 Geary St (across the street from the Curran), which I didn't know until just now is a chain with locations all over the city. For some reason I thought it was affiliated with the place on Haight, but that's *Best* of Thai Noodle. It's a very down and dirty hole in the wall type place with the guys frying it up in the same room as the cafeteria-style tables, but it was very quick, very cheap, and quite yummy. I got the Pad See Ew Chicken and it came out pretty much exactly as I liked it, so I gulped up the entire plate. Got in and out in half an hour... works for me!

Oh and for lunch I went to Delica RF-1 in the Ferry Building, which was an interesting Japanese deli. Very confusing in how it works in that you can get combination bentos or combinations, or individual items, or salads, or whatever.. I ended up getting a bunch of random items which were for the most part quite yummy (potato croquette, some tempura ball of stuff I wouldn't get again b/c it was too hard to eat and had been sitting out too long so was cold, a chicken dumpling, and a kanpocha?? and butternut squash soup). Wouldn't mind trying it again. There was a beef and mushroom curry that looked interesting...

No comments: