Thursday, January 10, 2008

Small food post

Went to Patxi's Chicago Pizza (511 Hayes between Laguna and Octavia) with my sister before leaving for break. It was all right - the pizza toppings themselves were quite yummy - we just got the Hawaiian, I think, and it was all cheesy with tangy tomato sauce and good. The crust (deep dish, of course) was eh. Nothing to write home about. The bottom layer was quite thin which made the pizza soak through pretty rapidly, whereas the outer layer was fine but not particularly tasty. I'd go again just b/ it's there, but it's definitely not the best deep dish I've had (and for point of reference I think I still like Pizzeria Uno's the best of what I've tried...).

Last night, went to Minh Tri Vietnamese Cuisine (534 Irving St, between 6th and 7th) because I had a vague urge for Vietnamese food. I'm wondering if it's a matter of not really knowing what to order, b/c my bf liked it fine. They seem to only have pho on their lunch menu, incidentally. He got the "Mint Pork", which was pork fried with basil (mint?), and a vietnamese ice tea (which = tea dripping onto condensed milk while he fidgets impatiently, kind of like vietnamese ice coffee = coffee dripping onto condensed milk while he fidgets impatiently) and seemed to like both just fine. I hate basil so I didn't try his dish. I got the "Homemade Chicken" which was chicken breast pieces stir fried with bok choy (not the leaves, just the stems), mushrooms, green onions, and eggs in a n "eggy Vietnamese sauce" which I interpreted as meaning there would be..sauce. But it ended up being a kind of dry dish since chicken breast is already dry, and none of the other ingredients add much moisture either, and the sauce mainly seemed to be black pepper seasoning. Kind of disappointing. My hot soy milk was good - standard hot soy milk. I wonder if their other dishes are better, given how many positive reviews they get on yelp. One note, though - about 95% of the clientele while we were there were white. The service was friendly and the food came out pretty fast, but then we didn't get our bill for the longest time b/c apparently the guy thought we were "talking" and didn't want to interrupt. In the meantime, we were watching nextmuni tick down the time to our next bus on the bf's iPhone, and getting more and more annoyed. Sigh. We made our bus, but that's only b/c it was 28 minutes away from when we first checked =P.

Random note - while I get impatient at the 1/2 hour bus ride to work (and from work), I do have to say there's a definite advantage in that usually there aren't too many people on the bus when we get on at either end, since most of the people get off somewhere in the middle. That means I usually get a seat...

No comments: