Sunday, October 19, 2008

Updating

This blog is *supposed* to more or less be a record of stuff I do so I can remember it later, so of course it's totally useless that I haven't been updating.

So, a quick recap, for my own gratification.

We've been to plenty of restaurants that were indifferent or disappointing. Stuff that sounded good but just didn't taste that good. Or wasn't as interesting as it should have been. Places like Zare at Fly Trap, a Mediterranean place with an interesting sounding menu but eh food, or Oola, which is just disappointing.

Some highlights that we tried and very much enjoyed:
Isa (3324 Steiner btwn Chestnut and Lombard in Marina). Cute little restaurant, super-tasty food. A nice surprise, worth the trip up to Marina.

Range (842 Valencia St, btwn 19th and Cunningham Pl in Mission). Went there recently and just thought the food tasted really good. Got a pork chop (very large, very tender and juicy) with squash puree (I love butternut squash soup, very close to that) and swiss chard (yummy and done way better than how Oola did it). My bf got the hangar steak which was tender and good, though we didn't quite like the side as much (mostly b/c kale is more bitter than chard). His appetizer salad was also good. Very yummy, I'd go back.

Can't remember much else except that I'm not so keen to return to Siam Thai - just not that good quality - and I'm annoyed because Koh Samui and the Monkey decided to give themselves an additional $2 in tip (good thing I check my credit card bill pretty closely).

Went to see A Bronx Tale - a one man play written by and starring Chazz Palmintieri that was the basis of a Robert De Niro movie several years ago. It was surprisingly good, surprising mostly because I'm not familiar with one man shows and wasn't sure at first about this one guy up there for an hour and a half talking, but Chazz Palmintieri was very good. Very compelling, very amusing, very touching, and very energetic.

Also went to see Spring Awakening. Not sure what I think about that show. The music was nice, I quite liked it, but lyrically I had no idea what was going on. I kept trying to listen as closely as possible but missed a lot of lyrics. The stuff I did catch, about 80% of the time, didn't seem directly related to what was going on. Or it was related, but in that more abstract pop kind of way. Not as direct or obvious as typical musical lyrics. Plotwise, it seemed like "what are all the bad things we can throw at these teenagers al at once?" and only worked as a function of the time period. It's a show I don't know if I'd recommend, to be honest, even though the cast were talented and energetic and young, and the music sounded good. Though maybe others would like it.

No skating shows for me this fall, since Kurt Browning pulled out of the two Disson shows he'd been in, due to his father's illness (luckily he's better), and I pulled out of the one show I did have a trip planned to due to a cold.

A number of weddings, though, including one I was in. Big, beautiful affair at the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay where I was in the wedding party (strapless dresses don't stay on! makeup doesn't come off! hair looked weird! still lots of fun!), and a more low key, but still nice, affair the next day at the Marriott San Mateo. Lots of weddings this year, got another one coming up in November, and another in December...

Otherwise, still indulging my Doctor Who obsession by watching every special feature there is on the DVDs and all the Doctor Who Confidentials I downloaded (since the DVDs only have the "cutdown" version).

Enough of an update for now, I can't remember anything else =).

No comments: