Wednesday, May 7, 2008

New Orleans

I have a friend who says she blogs in order to keep up her writing skills.

I apparently blog to brain dump, without taking the time to make sure my syntax, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc are even remotely close to correct. I wonder if that means this blog is actually degrading my writing skills. Oh well.

My surgery 2 weeks ago had the fortunate timing of needing to happen when I wasn't out of the country - in Argentina or Canada. It had the unfortunate timing of happening in the middle of 5 consecutive weekends of planned travel. I cancelled one trip (sigh) but this past weekend had another planned, to New Orleans for a friend's bridal shower/bachelorette party type trip. Luckily, I was already feeling almost close to normal, so going on this trip wasn't as much of a post-op issue as I had feared.

I've never been to New Orleans before, and it was neat to visit a new city in the US. My rather short time there was spent primarily in the French Quarter and at Jazz Fest, since I arrived around 1AM Friday night/Saturday morning and left around 6:30PM Sunday. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really quite liked the French Quarter - the narrow streets lined with little boutiques, shops, and restaurants, the Southern architecture with the wide balconies and verandas (my new fact of the day - verandas are covered balconies), the generally quaint feel that wasn't quite European but certainly wasn't like the big Eastern/Western cities I've visited in the US. The one odd thing was the plethora of SUV and minivan taxis. Not something I'm used to seeing. Our wanderings took us down Royal St to Jackson Square, which was quite pleasant, to Cafe Du Monde (ridiculously long but fast-moving line!) for beignets (to be honest, slightly disappointing - I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't fried dough). We then wandered over to the French Market, which I liked quite a lot. It was a covered open air structure, several blocks long, with a number of stalls and tables set up with all sorts of neat little arts, crafts, souvenirs, etc. I think I particularly liked that it wasn't cramped and it wasn't crowded, and it was quite bright, so the whole experience was just pretty pleasant. I got a $20 set of pewter jewelry (looks like bright silver, kind of) that I quite liked, and also bought a scented candle for my mom (b/c the other girls were all getting some and they needed a certain number to ship).

After the French Market, we made our way back to the Windsor Court Hotel for afternoon tea. Tea is such a female thing to do - I looked around and there was only one man in there the entire time we were there, and he didn't look too happy to be there. It's all soft music and sitting around in elegant tables with tea and cute little sandwiches and cakes. It was pretty nice, though, I'll admit. I'm not a fan of tea at all but I decided to try the Jasmine b/c it was supposed to be very light... and then poured in a lot of milk and sugar. I think I liked the four fruit tea a lot better when I finally tried it. But the food was good, and plentiful - I didn't end up being able to eat my dessert chocolate covered strawberry or chocolate truffles or cream puff, I was so full. Then it was back to the hotel to veg a bit and do some bridal shower activities - a couple games, opening presents. Then napping and relaxing until dinner.

For dinner, my friends were all determined to get boiled crawfish by the pound. We went to one restaurant that was well known for it, but the line was long and slow, so we ended up going to Felix's across the street, which had more crawfish for a better deal and almost no line. I'm lazy and not particularly inclined to work hard for my food, so I was the one person who didn't get crawfish - I got a Cajun sampler instead, consisting of jambalaya (too spicy for me), crawfish etouffe (ok), and red beans and rice (surprisingly my favorite). It was amusing watching my friends busily cracking into their pile of crawfish, which they all seemed to enjoy immensely. Afterwards, we wandered around Bourbon St a bit. From an observer's standpoint (which is what I tend to be), it was rather interesting - a whole street closed down and reserved for pedestrian traffic, all the open bars and restaurants and such which made it so people would just wander in and out of the street, people carrying drinks down the street... it was like one big open air party. The only thing is, I don't particularly like being around drunk people, particularly drunk people I don't know who approach me and try to give me beads, or call one of my friends uptight. So after the novelty wore off, I was a bit over it. Probably doesn't help that I don't drink, I don't actually like bars or clubs, and I was getting a bit tired from the long day. After getting daiquiries and jello shots at one of the numerous daiquiri stands lining the street, which resembled soda fountains except with daiquiri machines lining the wall instead of a soda fountain, and which sold pizza by the slice, my friends walked me back to the hotel before wandering out for a couple more hours.

Sunday morning opened with brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, which was quite nice. We sat in the cute outdoor pavilion with a fountain nearby, gazebo next to us, little well across the way, and live music in the back. The food was pretty yummy (it's too bad my appetite has been diminished since the surgery since I would have liked to eat more) and it was a nice way to start the day. We then split up so 3 of us went to Jazz Fest (one was leaving early, one kept her company, and one was very interested in historical stuff so she went to do a tour of the Katrina areas). Jazz Fest was neat - it was basically on a horse racetrack/fairgrounds, with several large stages set up all around, arts and crafts booths, and a ton of food. What particularly appealed to me was that they had 3 or 4 large tents set up that actually had folding chairs and bleachers *and* were covered from the sun, so we spent some time enjoying blues in one tent and jazz in another (I like blues better). The arts and crafts were cute, though more enjoyable to look at earlier in the day when there were less people, and it was kind of fascinating reading the signs and seeing just how many things you can do with crawfish. We wandered by a few of the other stages, but the main stage was set up so loud and with such booming bass that it felt like the bass was trying to make our hearts beat a new rhythm, which was quite uncomfortable. So we didn't stay near any stage for longer than a song or so. The overall experience was nice though - interesting music of different varieties, interesting food (I tried half a chicken po'boy, and half a pulled pork po'boy - liked the pork better), and interesting sights. We had to leave around 3PM so we missed the big names (Santana, etc) but by then it was getting really crowded and really hot, so we weren't too sad to go.

Overall, it was a fun weekend, and an interesting glimpse at New Orleans.

No comments: