Friday, May 2, 2008

Randomness

My group at work has been suffering a slow attrition recently. And it's kind of evident more attrition will be happening in the future from the frequency of "work from home" emails we get, from people who used to never work from home. Sigh. What's ironic, though, is I probably look like I have a bigger slew of "excuses" to not be at work than anyone, what with the gum procedures, the orthodontia, and now this surgery. And I *haven't* been interviewing! I bet they're wondering how one person can have so many things wrong with her and need to be at all these different appointments all the time =P.

I've been wasting a lot of time recently while recuperating, poking around the Web. It's really fun all the old stuff you can dig up on YouTube, etc. And it's really weird to see how new generations of people are discovering some of my youthful obsessions. Back when it came out (and admittedly, still now), I was a huge fan of "Newsies," the Disney live action musical about newsboys on strike, starring a young Christian Bale. I was also a huge fan of "Roundhouse," a Nickelodeon sketch show that starred four of the background actors from Newsies. Apparently there's a whole cult following for "Newsies" that's still active today (just check out NewsiesFreak.com), but what's really amusing (and disturbing) is how many fans seem to be teens who weren't even alive when the movie came out 16 years ago. I suppose it makes sense b/c anyone like me, who liked it back then and still likes it but isn't actively involved, won't be the ones you see posting online.

But what really amuses me is something I just stumbled upon yesterday:
Blood Drips Heavily on Newsies Square, which apparently was a movie made via video camera by Michael Goorjian (aka Skittery, aka the guy on Party of Five), Max Casella (aka Racetrack, aka the guy from Doogie Howser), Trey Parker (aka Kid Blink), and Ivan Dudynsky (aka Dutchy, aka the guy from Roundhouse), on the set of the Newsies. It kind of shows what happens when you get a bunch of teen/early 20's guys together running around a movie set goofing off - you get a horror movie spoof starring Mark David (aka Specs, aka another guy from Roundhouse) as Don Knotts, who's pissed he's not allowed to be in "Newsies" and goes around killing off the Newsies one by one, as each exhibits dirty mouths and proclivities usually not emphasized in a Disney production. They somehow got everyone involved - there are cameos from the film's director, various assistants and crew, and almost everyone in the film (including Christian Bale and Bill Pullman). The production values are incredibly low (very amusingly so) and this possibly is only funny to those who are fans and know who these guys are. But it cracked me the hell up when I found it on YouTube, partly b/c I didn't know any of this background and was just like "what the hell is this??". Apparently Michael Goorjian found it when going through old tapes a while ago and gave it to a friend to put up for sale on the Internet, and when they got a lot of interest, ended up putting up the website I posted above to sell it. You can get it for $25 on VHS or DVD. Or you can go to YouTube:
Part One
Part Two
Part Three

The other thing I found out that I never realized - two of the Newsies are in the Rent movie. One is "Steve" in the "Will I Lose My Dignity" song (played "Mush" in Newsies) and the other is one of the guys at the table in "La Vie Boheme." Funky.

1 comment:

kupowark said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh my goodness. Blood dripping on Newsies Square is possibly one of the funniest things I've ever seen. XDDDDD I love how Michael persistently doesn't die. And is the only survivor.

Also, Christian Bale with his natural British accent. "It's up there, innit?" hahaha, Newsies swearing up a storm. XD PRICELESS. So much love. XD Thanks for sharing, heeheheheheheheee. (I couldn't stop laughing my lungs out, my goodness). XD