Friday, June 19, 2009

Another restaurant

Ate at Cafe Altano in Hayes Valley last night. It's a newish Italian place across the street from Suppenkuche, at Hayes and Laguna. We quite enjoyed it. It's a nice, light restaurant, at least during daytime hours, since there are a lot of windows. I got a baby spinach salad I really liked, and a wild mushroom risotto that was fine. Pretty good, though I like creamier risottos. My bf got the chicken stuffed with prosciutto and cheese, and said it was pretty good as well. Everything was flavored decently and it was a decent mid-range price place very close to our route home, so I think we'd go back.

Almost forgot, saw Porgy and Bess at the SF Opera on Sunday night. I'm really not an opera fan, I've realized. I don't like the style of singing, can't get into the music, plus it's just really really long. I just have to acknowledge that I'm really a musical theater fan and like the more pop music sensibility. That said, I did enjoy the show more as it went on. I do find it kind of interesting reading the bios - it's like every time they stage a production of Porgy and Bess, they have to draw on every opera company around the country to get a big enough African-American cast. Or black cast, anyway, not all of them are American I think. Talented singers, though, and a definitely passionate performance of the story. If it wasn't opera, I might have liked it more...

No comments: