Thursday, June 18, 2009

Restaurant update

Haven't blogged food in forever, totally behind. Not much time now.

Just a few mentions.

For DAT this June, we went two places - Isa and Anzu. I usually like Isa but we were a bit disappointed this time because it was completely full and therefore service was quite slow. We weren't in the mood for a slow meal and would have liked things to move along faster. Also, I'm supposed to note that my bf doesn't like the molten chocolate cake there and really should stop ordering it. My amaretto semifreddo was ok though huge and I couldn't quite figure out what a semifreddo was, even as I ate it. I usually like duck at Isa and it was pretty good, but not as delectable as last time. Bread was good as usual. Appetizer was good - I think I got the tuna and he got the salmon and they were both yummy.

Anzu was in the Hotel Nikko. Food was ok but unmemorable. My bf liked the salad better than I did, probably b/c of the Meyer lemon vinaigrette (I thought the greens were too bitter and I'm not as big a fan of sour as he is). Bf got the seared ahi entree, which was pretty good (from the bites I tried), on a bed of sweet corn that was yummy. I got the butternut squash ravioli which was fine. I've had worse, I've definitely had better. For dessert I got the chocolate croissant bread pudding which, unlike a previous chocolate croissant bread pudding I had at a different restaurant, barely hinted at its croissant origins. It was ok, not great. Bf got a creme brulee, I think, which was fine. It was fine to visit once, I probably wouldn't rush back.

Went to Chez Spencer last night just randomly. We were definitely the most underdressed there but the waiters never batted an eye. Service was great - nice, attentive waiter, frequent water refills, frequent offer of fresh warm bread. Food was ok, but not spectacular. I had the duck, which on the menu said "blackberry, blueberry" so I was envisioning the berries being involved in the sauce, but instead I got five blueberries and 3 blackberries on my duck. It was fine but a bit too salty. I liked the heirloom tomato thing on the side though. Spinach was also too salty. My bf got the venison, rare. I tried a bit and it was quite good. He seemed to like it ok. We didn't get dessert or appetizer. Had bf's homemade burnt caramel gelato and vanilla ice cream instesad.

Did Memphis Minnie's again. May have to switch my usual entrees. The beef seems to have been more moist than the pork the last few times - ribs and brisket. I got the pork ribs and brisket this time, and liked the brisket the best by far.

Where else have eaten?

Ate at Walzwerk in the Mission and quite liked it. Cute German place, good food. Nice servers though not always the most attentive.

Don't like Nate's BBQ across from the Sports Authority.

Can't remember what else.

Went to Peru almost two weeks ago. Still need to blog...

No comments: