Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pleasant surprise in Potrero area

I sometimes think restaurants are the most enjoyable when you go in with no expectation whatsoever. After spending the last 4 evenings eating the beef chow mein I made Sunday night (good the first couple nights, tiresome by the 4th night), I desperately wanted to eat out and have something different. My bf needed to pick up a package from the UPS center so I started checking Yelp for restaurants in that general vicinity. I randomly stumbled across Slow Club, which has a ton of good reviews on Yelp, but whose menu, to my Dragonfly-craving self (ie, French-Vietnamese) didn't look particularly interesting. However, the bf thought it sounded good, so to Slow Club we went.

What a pleasant surprise! I got the burger (sans mustard), since Yelpers raved about it, and it was indeed a really tasty burger. Had non-lettuce greens, tomato, balsamic onion, cheddar cheese, toasted bun, yummy burger patty and just really hit the spot. Plus, the fries on the side were the thin-cut crispy kind, well-salted, which is my favorite kind. My bf got the flatbread, which very much resembled a pizza (tomato sauce, cheese, basil, fennel sausage), which he said was good, though by the end he was a bit tired of it (I think it's meant to be an appetizer but it was almost too big to be an entree!). But the really delicious part was the dessert. The dessert menu in general looked good to me, with its use of Bi-Rite ice cream, the presence of a warm fruit crisp (plum), and some other good stuff. But what jumped out at us was the TCHO dark chocolate mousse cake with honey-lavender ice cream. I didn't really like the ice cream - not sure I actually like lavender - but once scraped aside... WOW. So very very yummy. Each bite was a bite of joy. It was like eating a cake of XOX truffles, almost. Usually when they're like "Scharffenberger chocolate" or "Ghiradelli chocolate" or even "Valhrona chocolate" it ends up being disappointing. But TCHO dark chocolate? So very good. I was a very happy me by the end of that meal. Immensely unhealthy meal, but so very yummy. I'd definitely go back.

No comments: