Sunday, August 2, 2009

Best French Toast ever

Got a random late night email from a friend last night asking if we wanted to go to breakfast today. Despite the fact that I got back from karaoke (Music Tunnel in Richmond has a cool touch screen interface now, which almost makes up for its still relatively (to Gamba) poor English music selection) at 3:30am and then stayed up until 4:30am trying to get something working and kicked off for work, I woke up at 9, unable to fall back asleep. So I texted him and off to breakfast we all went.

Randomly picked Olea based on both of us finding it highly recommended on Yelp (though he didn't read the menu, unlike me, and was a bit surprised at how non-typical brunch their selections were). Three of us ended up all getting the challah custard toast with cinnamon sugar and berries, while the fourth got an poached egg in a cazuela (which apparently is just a certain style plate) with tomato sauce, mushrooms, and shredded chicken. The egg, which I tried one small bite of, was good, but the french toast was amazing. My friend afterwards said it was probably one of the best he had and I think it probably was *the* best I've had. I've had French toast at several places recently (like Zazie's) and made my own that other people have highly complimented but I haven't actually enjoyed that much, so I was starting to lose faith in French toast. But Olea's has restored my faith. So moist and tasty all the way through (the custard and the challah both playing a role here). so perfectly sweet (not too sweet but with a great cinnamon sugar taste) it almost didn't need syrup. Loved it.

Service was good (friendly server), we sat at the communal table (2 parties of 4 completely ignoring each other), and had a bit of a wait... Place is small but the lines don't seem so much long as just happening in waves. If you get there at the right time, as one wave of people are leaving, you'll get seated quickly, but if you happen to be unlucky enough to get there just as pretty much all the tables get seated, you have to wait for basically a full meal cycle before a table clears. Don't know if it gets busier later, we got there before 10:30. Definitely recommend this place on the basis of the French toast alone. Mmmmmm.

No comments: