Monday, August 20, 2007

Costco madness

Went to the Costco in SF (10th and Harrison?) for the first time on Saturday. I should remember that Saturday afternoon is *never* a good time to visit a Costco, but apparently the one in the city is particularly hectic. You know how people hover in busy parking lots, following people back to their cars or waiting forever just to get a parking spot? That was the first time I've ever had to hover to get a *shopping cart*. I felt a bit like a vulture.

It's fun to walk aisle by aisle through a Costco from time to time, though, just to see what random stuff they sell.

A few links, to make up for the lack of linkage in the last post...

Mifune - 1737 Post Street (in Japantown, near the Benihana).
The people on Yelp are trashing it. I have to say, and I may not have been looking, I've never seen mice or any other pests here. It's definitely not an upscale place, but I'm totally with the "comfort food" moniker. I love getting my nice warm bowl of udon here - I used to like the nabeyaki but then tried the tanin (beef & egg) and never went back. Nice, warm, yummy broth, and good tastes. My bf isn't as fond of Japanese noodles and has a harder time finding something he wants here.

Sophie's Crepes - 1581 Webster St (in Japantown, next to the stationary store, the book store, and Fuku Sushi)
My bf likes Belly Good Cafe & Crepes in the next building better, because they have a lot more original flavor combinations, but since they're never ever open after dinner (they close at 8pm on most nights, not sure about weekends) I can't even remember if I actually have ever had a crepe there. One of these days... At any rate, Sophie's crepes are good for a more standard combination of flavors, especially if you like your crepe in cone shape with a scoop of ice cream in the middle. Just be careful...it dribbles out of the bottom if you're not paying attention and if you eat as slow as I do!

Pork Store Cafe - 1451 Haight St
Like I said yesterday, diner food. Very popular diner food. We managed to get there when the line was fairly short but every time I looked out the window while we were sitting there, there was a long line of people waiting. It's not very big and if you're a party of two, don't expect to sit anywhere but the lunch counter. Like I said, though, we sat at the end of the lunch counter and thus had a perfect view of the cooks. Almost as fun as watching teppanaki ;).

Pagolac - 655 Larkin St (between Ellis and Willow in the Tenderloin)
As I said yesterday, Vietnamese, nothing remarkable but pretty good. Very slow, but it could be b/c we were in the front corner and they never seemed to get quite as far as us... lots of people waiting outside (we got lucky again and got there ahead of the crowd) and a very disorganized system of taking down who's waiting. Food was good - I got the dry vermicelli with bbq chicken (basically a Vietnamese salad, IMO) which tasted good (fairly standard), while my bf got the chicken pho, somehow not quite registering he was basically ordering chicken noodle soup ;). He said it was fine. Somehow despite going to places b/c of thinking he wants pho, we haven't yet gotten the standard beef pho anywhere. The menu keeps distracting us ;). This restaurant has a 7 courses of beef special that looked like it could be interesting, but we didn't have the time or the appetite to try it.

We actually cooked for ourselves 3 nights in a row this weekend (mmm tenderloin. mmmm cookies), so no further restaurant recommendations. Amazing.

No comments: