Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sad, lonely thief

On Sunday night, I got a phone call from American Express' customer service department, questioning a suspicious charge on my credit card from Friday. When I denied having made that charge, they questioned me about another charge that also looked suspicious. At this point, I called up my online statement and discovered a third charge, 10 days earlier, that I knew I hadn't made either. AMEX was really good about it - they transferred me to customer service who issued me a new card, closed the old one, and took all three charges off of my bill. So, I'm AMEX-less for 7-10 days or whatever, but at least AMEX caught it and was totally cool about it.

The charges?
Zencon Dating
Match.com
Second Life

So my credit card info was stolen by a single geek who likes computer games?

Even funnier is, I googled zencondating and all that came up was a number of links reporting rip-offs or scams... but all the reports were of people who tried to sign up for zencon dating, paid them, and then couldn't access the account, get customer service, get their money back...

Does this mean my credit card thief stole my info so he could get ripped off?

No comments: