Sunday, January 18, 2009

More food

3 more food places to blog about before I forget.

Il Borgo - 500 Fell St at Laguna. Uninspiring Italian food. My homemade fettucine in bolognese sauce was fine - chewy fresh pasta, kind of boring bolognese sauce. My bf got some sort of ravioli in tomato sauce. It was fine but nothing special. We probably won't go back.

Lolo - 3230 22nd St btwn Mission and Bartlett. Evidently it's a Turkish/Mediterranean-influenced tapas place (though it's really just appetizers and almost full size main dishes, so I'm not sure where the tapas comes in, except for them encouraging family style sharing). We quite enjoyed it - the food was interesting and good. We got the taco tropical (shrimp tacos) which were really tasty and interesting, the baked brie (which I think was actually fried) on some kind of fruity, slightly spicy, yummy sauce, and the pork chop with a kind of blue cheese butter on top that was really good.

The Little Chihuahua - 292 Divisadero btwn Page and Oak. Went here for brunch on Saturday. It's a Mexican place, with a brunch menu that had something I really wanted to try, the "Mexican French Toast". It's two pieces of flour tortilla, done french-toast style (dipped in an egg mixture and griddled), each wrapped around fried plantains and bacon, and served with maple-agave syrup. I think my bf and I could have shared one (though we both ended up finishing off our plates, so maybe not). I love fried plantains, so I quite enjoyed this, though there was a bit too much bacon for my taste after a while so I ended up pulling it out, while my bf found it odd to eat bacon inside his sweet brunch. The french toast-style tortillas were kind of like a mixture between a thin crepe and french toast. Definitely interesting to try (and I'm curious about their fried plantain and black bean burrito) but I'm not sure if I'd need to go again. Cute place, though, with good pico de gallo to go with their warm chips. My strawberry agua fresca was disappointingly watered down, but my bf seemed to enjoy his watermelon one, which was infused with bits of mint, more.

No comments: