Thursday, October 25, 2007

My bf observed the other day that whenever we've been eating out for several days in succession, I start getting antsy about eating out too much and thinking we should cook. But then, when we've cooked for several days in a row, I start making comments about not having eaten out in a while. Apparently I'm just never satisfied.

This week we combined a bit of both worlds by getting takeout for dinner Monday, and then eating the leftovers Tuesday. For the first time in a long time, we got Indian, from Indian Oven (237 Fillmore, btwn Haight and Laussat). It wasn't cheap - I paid $47 for the whole order - but I also got a bit over-ambitious when ordering, getting the chicken tikka masala, chicken korma, assorted breads (garlic naan, onion kulcha, and chapati), an order of pulao, and two mango lassis. Also, in all fairness, it *did* last us for two meals. As for the taste, I liked it a lot. I don't know if it's super-authentic or anything, but I really enjoyed the sauce on both the tikka masala and the korma, the chicken was really tender, the lassis were super-yummy, the pulao was interesting (it's rice with peas, but also cinnamon and various other spices)... the breads order wasn't so good but it took me probably 1/2 hour from when they finished making the order to when I actually got it home so that could be why. A bit soggy. My bf wasn't quite as fond as I was - he pointed out that the chicken dishes seem like the type where they make a big batch of chicken and then ladle the sauce on, rather than making them together, which I think is possible. But like I said, the chicken was super-tender and the sauce yummy, so it still worked for me. It probably *isn't* authentic but it works for my taste buds.

Then, last night we went to Dragonfly Restaurant in Inner Sunset (420 Judah between 10th and 9th), which is a Vietnamese restaurant we've walked by several times while in the Inner Sunset. It was quite good. Proof you don't have to go to a super-expensive place like Three Seasons or Tamarine for good, slightly upscale Vietnamese (though Dragonfly's Shaken Beef is $19). We got the beef short ribs and five-spice chicken, both of which were quite yummy, along with the Hainan rice (I got overruled on my desire to try their coconut rice). The highlight, though, was definitely the dessert. He got the fried banana with coconut pineapple ice cream (if you read my restaurant reviews you will note that fried bananas are a favorite), which was good (super coconutty ice cream). I got the melted chocolate fondue, which was divine. The stuff to dip in was fine, whatever - strawberries, bananas, apples, pineapple, little pieces of pound cake, and two fried ice cream puffs - but the chocolate with grand marnier was really really good. We both started scooping up spoonfuls of the stuff after we'd exhausted the dipping possibilities. My main issue with this restaurant was they were SUPER slow. We ended up spending a bit short of 2 hours there, just for dinner and dessert. It wasn't just food coming out that was slow, but they took forever after they cleared our dishes to even ask if we wanted dessert, took a while to come back to get the order, took a while to clear *those* plates, took even longer to give us our bill, and then didn't come to pick up the credit card...my bf had to go up and drop the bill off b/c he was getting fed up waiting. So my conclusion - pretty good food, great desserts, but don't come here if you're in a big hurry.

No comments: