Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Whole lot of shakin' going on...

Apparently I live in a perpetually unsteady state, to the point where I never feel earthquakes, not even the biggest quake since 1989. I think I've experienced at least 3 or 4 quakes since moving to CA - I mean quakes big enough that people actually notice them - and I only felt one.

The first quake, I was living in Foster City, which is built on a landfill. I was up and walking around my room and completely failed to feel the earthquake which my bf (who was sitting on the bed) noticed, and which my housemates all immediately reacted to. It was only because the light in the foyer was rocking that I even had any evidence there was an earthquake.

The only quake I've ever noticed, I was sitting in my office in Newark, CA and thought at first the building was just shaking due to blasting in the quarry nearby, which frequently shook the building. It was only b/c of the prolonged duration of the shaking that I began to suspect something else was going on.

Yesterday's 5.6 quake, which admittedly hit down in San Jose while I live up in San Francisco, I didn't notice at all. I was cooking (on my gas stove) when my bf started yelling from his office down the hall. I had no idea what he was saying (the stove fan was on) until finally I heard "earthquake! earthquake!" I still had no clue what he was going on about because I didn't feel anything, but he insisted there was an earthquake going on. I looked around and noticed some books and the open bathroom door wobbling, so I decided to believe him. Kind of reacted belatedly to turn off the stove, and then stood in the doorway of the kitchen, watching things shake but feeling not a thing.

I dunno. I guess a lifetime of being perpetually off-balance (I'm known to start toppling over if I just shift my weight too much from foot to foot, and to list heavily to one side while trying to avoid obstacles in my way) has made me rather oblivious to the world around me shaking.

No comments: