Thursday, October 4, 2007

Marina sushi?

Haven't been eating out all that much recently...repeated at Little Star (the bf didn't really like it, we're unlikely to go back), Citrus Club (the citrus-fried bananas are DELICIOUS), Memphis Minnies (don't go there if you're not in the mood for meat, but still yummy)...

Did hit one new place in the Marina when I needed to go up there to borrow something from a coworker. The bf felt like "not meat" so we looked up sushi places up there. My coworker warned us that Marina food was all overrated - the people in the neighborhood thought it was great but it really wasn't - but we figured we'd give it a try.

There were several sushi places within a few blocks but this one seemed to get the best reviews on Yelp - Asa Sushi (2365 Chestnut St, between Divisadero and Scott). The place was quite a cute little place, wasn't even close to full, and had nice waitresses. The menu was quite large - tons and tons of rolls of various kinds and combinations. We were thrilled to see rolls with shiro maguro (the bf's favorite fish, and my almost-favorite fish) so we had to try one of those (something about a Flamingo - spicy shiro maguro and a whole bunch o' other stuff). Also got another roll with spicy tuna, a roll with maguro, sake, and hamachi (three amigos), and a fourth roll the contents of which slip my mind right now. On the nigiri side, we got shiro maguro (aka albacore tuna aka white tuna), butterfish (super white tuna), and sake. My verdict? Not bad. This definitely wasn't some super-awesome amazing fish shop, but it was decent stuff, pretty yummy fresh fish, and reasonably good rolls. Not terrible prices - kind of moderate. I particularly liked (though found hard to eat due to its size) the maguro/sake/hamachi roll since those are 3 fishes I like. After talking to my coworker, I know I'm no real sushi connoisseur but this place made me happy.

It's interesting walking through the Marina. The feel of the neighborhood is so incredibly different than the Haight, for instance. Or Mission. Or even North Beach. I guess it says something about me that I quite like it...

No comments: