Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Some eatin'

We, or at least I, have been trying to cook more and eat at home more. But we did hit a few restaurants in the last week.

Rosamunde Sausage Grill - 545 Haight St (btwn Fillmore and Steiner)
Really cheap eats, small place with counter seating (most people apparently take out or take it next door to the bar to eat, which the guy knows and will explicitly ask which you're doing). Very popular. We got the Hungarian sausage and the beer sausage, along with the German potato salad (for me) and a bag of chips (for him). You can put (choice of 2) hot and/or sweet peppers, onions, sauerkraut, or beanless beef chili on your sausage, along with choice of wasabi honey mustard, dijon mustard, or ketchup. We both got sweet peppers and onions on our sausage, and traded sausages halfway through. Our verdicts were actually the same - it's well done sausages of a particular style, and it's not our style. I might go back b/c it's really cheap and they have a huge variety of sausage types (kind of want to try the duck and fig or chicken and cherry ones), but stylistically, the ones we tried weren't really our thing. It's hard to explain what I'm talking about. They are good sausages, and the guy behind the counter was cool. I liked my German potato salad (not mayonaissey, more vinegary). But I guess I like my sweet Aidell sausages? Also, the Hungarian sausage was not at all what I had imagined - the sausages on the Hungarian pizza at Applewood Pizza, all smoky and yummy. It was more spicy and salty, not exactly what I had in mind, which didn't help my opinion. I do think I'll try it again sometime though.

Where else have I gone? We actually went all the way down to Mountain View to get Pho Hoa, which I realize must not be very authentic pho but we love their broth, we know what we like here, and it's so fast...and to get my hazelnut milk tea from Verde. I realize people who really like tea don't like Verde but I don't like tea, I like sweet drinks, and I love their hazelnut (which no one else has - the drink at Tea Era doesn't remotely taste like this) and their slightly sweet chewy pearls. I was a happy girl that night, though I then couldn't fall asleep for the rest of the night =P.

Friday night, we went with a friend to Pine Restaurant (1330 Noriega, between 20th Ave and 21st Ave), a Korean restaurant in the Sunset. I was very pleasantly surprised - we didn't do the grill at the table (though it was an option) but I found that I really liked their bulgogi and kalbi, which was yummy and cheaper by like $5 than Brothers. Plus there was no wait. Good stuff, I'd definitely go back. Afterwards, we went to Golden Island Cafe a few doors down. They've got one in San Mateo too, but this one was better - more options, better options, better service... My bf got a "Yummy Mango" which was HUGE and yet only $6 - big heap of mango sorbet, crushed ice, sago, fresh mango, coconut juice... I got something smaller and more standard - the sesame paste + sweet tofu. I love these Chinese dessert places. Yummy!

That's all I can remember off the top of my head...

No comments: