Sunday, September 16, 2007

Odd Jersey Boys tribute

The cast I saw Thursday of the Jersey Boys was on the Emmy Awards tonight, doing a tribute to The Sopranos. So I get the Jersey connection (Frankie Valli apparently even guest starred on the Sopranos) but it was just odd, seeing all these clips of people getting beaten or shot or drowning themselves or something juxtaposed with "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You." I'm not sure who thought that one up but I guess the "Jersey Boys" show is best known for that song, "The Sopranos" is a really violent show, so if you're going to show what's well known about each, you put violence over a love song?

I dunno. Anyway. I'm not sure that was the best representation of the show or the cast it could have been, since it seemed to be missing the full sound and energy in that large space, but I'm just glad to finally have a recording of Jarrod Spector as Frankie. Even though the performance seemed to be missing a little something that's there when you see it live. Wish it had been longer...

No comments: