Tuesday, September 11, 2007

How far is heaven?

Los Lonely Boys sure put on a good show. High energy, great harmonies, a rockin' guitar (or bass, or both) solo in every song, special guest appearance by their dad on two songs, and a very show-off but impressive encore where they played the hell out of their instruments, out of each other's instruments, simultaneously out of their own instruments and each others' instruments, and then played the guitar and bass one-handed (I guess for the electric instruments you don't actually need to pluck the strings??) and behind their heads...

Apparently for the Fillmore you either need to get there super-early to claim one of the very few tables/chairs along the balcony (and I think you may have to order food) or you may as well not try to get there early at all, since it's pretty much standing only, with just a few half-walls around you can sit on. I'm a lame concert goer - my knees hurt too easily while standing and I'd rather be sitting. Still, Los Lonely Boys got me moving around enough that it wasn't nearly as bad on my knees as I had feared.

Dinner was at Little Star Pizza (846 Divisadero, between Fulton and McAllister), reportedly the best deep dish pizza in SF. Having never tried any other pizza in SF I couldn't really judge the merits of that statement. It *was* very yummy, but quite different than the deep dish pizza I've had in the past. The crusts I'm used to are like Pizzeria Unos (which I love) - buttery and I guess chewy. Little Star's crust was some kind of cornmeal, actually kind of crunchy and a lot less greasy. Not exactly what I love in a pizza crust but it was good. It was also less cheesy and more tomato-ey than I'm used to. The sauce was good, though, and sufficiently buried the Italian sausage (which I usually can't stand, or maybe the sausage here was particularly good) that I could eat our Classic (sausage, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions) without picking anything off and enjoy it. It's not exactly the type of deep dish I like best, but I do recommend it. Apparently there's usually a huge wait on weekends but if you get there at 6pm on a Tuesday like we did, it's fairly empty.

No comments: